[Mimedefang] Embedded Perl (continued)

Dianne Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Sep 22 11:12:12 EDT 2015

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 07:57:18 -0700
Amit Gupta <amit777 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My situation is that the number of mimedefang.pl processes jumps to
> about 70 during peak loads (we are processing a couple hundres
> messages per minute on average).

How much RAM do you have?  70 parallel scanners is not outlandish on
busy machines.  Our biggest scanning machine is configured to allow
up to 400 scanners.  It's a pretty powerful machine with 48GB of RAM,
though, and our volume is 5-10x yours.

> I see you mentioned using embedded perl prevents
> forking entire processes.

No... it still forks each time, but it doesn't exec a new program.

> So would my RAM requirements be reduced drastically?

Probably not.  As I said, embedded Perl helps a little bit, but not
dramatically.

Regards,

Dianne.