[Mimedefang] Any Sophie users out there?

Anne Bennett anne at encs.concordia.ca
Fri Mar 21 17:13:08 EDT 2014

I haven't had a chance to play with any of this yet, but I want to
summarize and share the information I've been sent on both the
MIMEDefang and HIED-EMAILADMIN lists.

I had expressed concern about Sophos withdrawing support for
SAVI v4, while apparently no work had been done on Sophie in
a decade.  I received some encouraging pointers:

  - Sophos has a product called "SAV Dynamic Interface" (SAVDI)
    whose documentation claims it supports "the Sophie protocol"
    (among others).
    http://www.sophos.com/en-us/medialibrary/PDFs/documentation/savi_dynamic_20_meng.pdf
    (Thanks to Scott Larnach and David Webb.)

  - Sophie 3.05 seems to actually work with SAVI v9.
    (Thanks to John Kalbach and Rick Kruze.)

  - A milter was created to replace Sophie when it was abandoned:
    http://www.j-chkmail.org/j-sophosd
    (Thanks to Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz, who wrote it.)

Some sites report simply blocking mail which contains dangerous
attachment types, and bypassing most of the virus issue that way.

Thanks, all!

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Senior Sysadmin, ENCS, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
anne at encs.concordia.ca                                    +1 514 848-2424 x2285