[Mimedefang] Any Sophie users out there?

Jason Englander jason at englanders.us
Thu Mar 20 14:49:32 EDT 2014

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014, Anne Bennett wrote:

> A belated thanks for the patch!  ;-)  What are you using now
> for anti-virus?

No problem :-)

Personally and professionally I've used ClamAV (via clamd) for a long
time.  I actually used to be a "team member" pre-Cisco, pre-SourceFire.

I've used Avira AntiVir, but this happened:
http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail?kbid=1491

I've used F-PROT for Linux Workstations:
http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/linux/
(but do not right now)

I have not done much recent Linux anti-virus related work for client
servers, but many of the ones that I used to use or at least test years
ago have gone the way of the Dodo: Sophie, Trophie (+ TrendMicro),
File::Scan, OpenAntiVirus, ...

Not sure if McAfee/NAI/Intel uvscan is still around or not, but from what
I remember that was very resource intensive to run the binary over and
over every time, using a tmpfs or other RAM-based filesystem or not.

I'm not involved with any environment right now where I have to worry
about a large number of users and their mail, beyond making sure it gets
delivered.  I have a client ISP that actually does no anti-virus scanning
incoming or outgoing, only recommends anti-virus software for them to
install on their PC.  They do have a conservative MIMEDefang filter and
SpamAssassin though.

   Jason