[Mimedefang] move SPOOLDIR to tmpfs - how to keep bayes and qdir files at reboot?

Kees Theunissen C.J.Theunissen at differ.nl
Fri Feb 21 16:22:45 EST 2014

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014, Marcus Schopen wrote:

>Hi Kees,
>
>I put $Features{'Path:QUARANTINEDIR'} to mimedefang.pl.conf and in my
>case (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) .spamassassin is automatically located
>under /var/spool/MD-Quarantine without changing home in passwd or
>changing HOME=/var/spool/MD-Quarantine in /etc/init.d/mimedefang. Kind
>of strange, but it seems to work.

This is done in /usr/bin/mimedefang.pl in the spam_assassin_init
subroutine:

        my $sa_args = {
                local_tests_only   => $SALocalTestsOnly,
                dont_copy_prefs    => 1,
                userprefs_filename => $config,
                user_dir           => $Features{'Path:QUARANTINEDIR'},
        };

I added the HOME=... declaration to my config back in 2006 on a
Fedora system. At that time $HOME was not defined in the init script.
I guess -but I'm not sure- that I had defined the quarantine dir
as the home dir of the defang user in /etc/passwd.

Without the $HOME definition spamassassin created the .spamassassin
directory in the proper location but sometimes failed to access
files in that directory.
See the archives of this mailinglist for more details:
http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2006-June/030383.html

I don't know if it is still needed, but I do know that the $HOME
definition currently _is_ included in the init script with the wrong
value if you separate the quarantine dir from the spool dir.
I just want to be sure that the value assigned to $HOME is correct,
whether that value is used or not.

Regards,

Kees Theunissen.

--
Kees Theunissen,  System and network manager,   Tel: +31 (0)30 6096724
Dutch Institute For Fundamental Energy Research (DIFFER)
e-mail address:   C.J.Theunissen at differ.nl
postal address:   PO Box 1207, 3430 BE Nieuwegein, NL
visitors address: Edisonbaan 14, 3439 MN Nieuwegein, NL