[Mimedefang] milter recipient check?

kd6lvw at yahoo.com kd6lvw at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 21:36:52 EST 2011

--- On Tue, 2/1/11, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to hook a milter to
> check recipients only after sendmail has already rejected
> anyone that is not a local or virtual user or alias?  I
> have a steady stream of dictionary attack addresses and have
> set up virtualusers with default rejects for the domains so
> sendmail can reject them quickly.  But now I'm trying
> to run milter-greylist ahead of MimeDefang and it wants to
> process all the messages.  I can configure it to also
> have a specific list of addresses to process but would like
> to know if there is a better way.  Can the greylisting
> be done with MimeDefang alone in later processing steps, or
> is there a way to hook milter-greylist to run after sendmail
> has already rejected recipients that don't exist?

I read your prior post - but my response is still "Why?"

If sendmail has already determined that the recipient be rejected, what is the purpose of calling an additional FILTER to make a determination?

What you want is LOGGING, not filtering.  The milter interface for filtering is NOT the place to do that.  Logging is easy.  Append to the M4 code for check_recipient a map call to syslog with the appropriate information and reason.  [Then, read the logs.]

This is not a MimeDefang problem.