[Mimedefang] milter recipient check?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 23:36:25 EST 2011

On 2/1/11 8:36 PM, kd6lvw at yahoo.com wrote:
> --- On Tue, 2/1/11, Les Mikesell<lesmikesell at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Is there a way to hook a milter to
>> check recipients only after sendmail has already rejected
>> anyone that is not a local or virtual user or alias?  I
>> have a steady stream of dictionary attack addresses and have
>> set up virtualusers with default rejects for the domains so
>> sendmail can reject them quickly.  But now I'm trying
>> to run milter-greylist ahead of MimeDefang and it wants to
>> process all the messages.  I can configure it to also
>> have a specific list of addresses to process but would like
>> to know if there is a better way.  Can the greylisting
>> be done with MimeDefang alone in later processing steps, or
>> is there a way to hook milter-greylist to run after sendmail
>> has already rejected recipients that don't exist?
>
> I read your prior post - but my response is still "Why?"
>
> If sendmail has already determined that the recipient be rejected, what is the purpose of calling an additional FILTER to make a determination?

The problem is that the way milter-greylist hooks in, it runs before sendmail
rejects unknown users.   And unless I maintain another copy of the valid user
list in it's config, it won't be able to keep up with the bazillion messages to
unknown users.

> What you want is LOGGING, not filtering.

No, I want greylisting - there is still a substantial amount of spam to the
valid addresses that greylisting will stop.   But I don't want to waste time
maintaining the state that greylisting needs for destination addresses that
don't exist.

> This is not a MimeDefang problem.

The question is, can MimeDefang do the greylisting better by itself in a later
operation?   Or is there a different way to run milter-greylist with it?

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com