[Mimedefang] OT: Choice of desktop OS (was Re: watch-mimedefang)

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Tue Feb 16 09:45:09 EST 2010

DFS wrote on 02/12/2010 06:54:27 PM:

> I must confess, I've never understood people who administer Linux
servers,
> yet don't run a Linux desktop.  Heck, run Linux in VMWare if you must,
> but at least use proper desktop tools to administer a Linux server.

When I first started using Linux for production servers (Roaring Penguin's
CanIt Pro), I wasn't as comfortable w/ Linux as I knew I should be.  I
switched my day to day laptop to Linux and for the Windows apps I have to
run, I use VMWare Workstation.  VMWare player was not available back then,
and I've kept to pay version for the extra features.

> The frustration of having to run a Windows desktop would drive me insane.

Making the switch caused some grief, but I think it was worth it in the
long run.  If nothing else, patches don't eventual bog the system down like
they do in Windows.  If you don't believe me, take a fresh machine and
install Windows 2000 on it.  Time how long it takes to boot.  Then do
nothing but patch it.  Alot.  Reboot repeatedly.  Burn most of a day doing
so.  Time how long it takes to boot after all current patches are applied.
Last time I did this, it took about 3 times longer to boot.

Now when my laptop takes longer to boot, it's because I added something.

Confidentiality Notice: This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or telephone and delete this message from your system.