[Mimedefang] Disclaimers and MIME (was Re: Re : HTML Boilerplates Disclaimers and image files...)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Feb 5 12:20:55 EST 2009

Gary Funck wrote:

> Perhaps we should sponsor a new RFC: "Canonical Disclaimer Attachment".
> Then mandate that a standard conforming email must use this attachment
> type for its disclaimer.

You are on to something!  I don't think we can get away with a new
Content-Type, but perhaps a new value for Content-Disposition?

The nice thing is that the RFCs mandate that an unknown content-disposition
be treated as "attachment", which means existing MUAs will not display the
disclaimer in-line.

Of course, lawyers will balk at "ignore" and insist on "obey".  It's a good
thing lawyers don't write e-mail clients.