[Mimedefang] Disclaimers and MIME (was Re: Re : HTML Boilerplates Disclaimers and image files...)

renaud.pascal at atosorigin.com renaud.pascal at atosorigin.com
Tue Feb 10 03:32:47 EST 2009

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 12:20:55 -0500
"David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:

> Gary Funck wrote:
>
> > Perhaps we should sponsor a new RFC: "Canonical Disclaimer Attachment".
> > Then mandate that a standard conforming email must use this attachment
> > type for its disclaimer.
>
> You are on to something!  I don't think we can get away with a new
> Content-Type, but perhaps a new value for Content-Disposition?

> The nice thing is that the RFCs mandate that an unknown content-disposition
> be treated as "attachment", which means existing MUAs will not display the
> disclaimer in-line.

 Maybe you could try and send to the IANA the proposal for a
new "Content-Disposition: insert; reason="disclaimer"?

 Though, I suppose it'd be much easier to add a Mime-type: text/disclaimer
and make a standard that any disclaimer MUST be an attachment.

 I don't want to break their toys but I'd be very content all these crazy
sentences (the last samples you posted were creepy :D) they insist to
put in mails would really just be 'in' mails and not spread all over
mails like  they are at the time!

> Of course, lawyers will balk at "ignore" and insist on "obey".  It's a good
> thing lawyers don't write e-mail clients.

 Generally it's a good thing that lawyers simply "don't" ;-)