[Mimedefang] NS records for a sub-domain

Stephen L Johnson stephen.johnson at arkansas.gov
Wed Mar 19 15:54:38 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 14:23 -0400, WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
> I have a site, a school district, that is a sub-domain from our main
> domain.   We have one zone file for everything in the wnyric.org domain,
> including the appropriate entries for sherman.wnyric.org.  They are trying
> to communicate with a vendor that outsources their mail to a company
> "bluetie.com"  That company is refusing to accept mail because
> sherman.wnyric.org does not have an NS record.  wnyric.org has NS records
> defined.
>
> Has anyone heard of such a requirement before?

No. There is no such requirement in the RFC's not even a hint.

Bluetie.com has made very some erroneous assumptions about how to check
for legitimate mail servers. Bluetie.com would refuse e-mail from all of
the public schools in the State of Arkanas based upon their policies.
And I do mean all because I'm hostmaster for the TLD.

The vendor should tell bluetie.com to "fixit".
--
Stephen L Johnson  <stephen.johnson at arkansas.gov>
Unix Systems Administrator / DNS Hostmaster