[Mimedefang] NS records for a sub-domain

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Mar 19 16:29:52 EDT 2008

James E. Pratt wrote:

> If you are referring to lack of a reverse-dns pointer record (PTR -
> in.addr-arpa), yes, many sites will refuse mail without one, else they
> would be deluged with spammers/bogus email... (not that we aren't
> already lol)

Those sites are also over-aggressive, but that has nothing to do with the
OP's problem.

> I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say the host has no NS
> record(s),

He means the domain "sherman.wnyric.org" has no NS record.  Which is perfectly
fine.

> however, looking up that address from here gives no "A"
> record, which means it effectively cannot be found in the DNS.

You don't need an A record to receive e-mail.  An MX record is enough.
Try "dig mx sherman.wnyric.org"

> (So to answer your question, I can't blame them. Lack of a PTR
> record is one thing, .. but no "A" record at all out there is
> um... well.. kinda worthless unless they whitelist your ip address
> on their server(s)...

I'm glad you aren't in charge of an e-mail system... oh... wait...

[Remaining irrelevant "sleuthing" elided.]

-- David.