[Mimedefang] Sendmail not providing relay hostname

Mike Grau m.grau at kcc.state.ks.us
Thu Mar 20 16:24:06 EDT 2008

Hello

I have two sendmail/mimedefang boxes with sendmail-8.13.6 built from
source on Linux 2.4.21-303-smp4G SuSE Linux 9.0 (i586). All works
beautifully.

I have just got a machine Linux a043015 2.6.18.8-0.8-default OpenSuse
9.2 and have built sendmail using virtually the same site.config.m4
file. It builds without a hitch.

However, instead of providing mimedefang with a relay hostname, it only
gives a bracketed IP address [nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn] for a host name for
every/any IP address. I've build the thing a number of ways using
sendmail-8.13.6 and 8.14.1 and 8.14.2 but the results are always the
same - no hostname.

All machine are running a local nameserver and etc/resolv.conf is 127.0.0.1

In every other respect it work - mail is filtered and delivered as
expected. I've googled but can find nothing. Evidently I don't know what
to google for.

Can somebody please clue me as to what the problem might be?
sendmail Version 8.14.2
 Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7
                NAMED_BIND NETINET NETUNIX NEWDB PIPELINING SCANF USERDB
        XDEBUG

Thanks!
-- MIke