[Mimedefang] Mimederfang not running all Spamassassin tests

Chris Sanburn csanburn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 11:50:58 EDT 2008

> Ok, had several great suggestions that I was hopeful would help but
> things still aren't working.
> I added
> $SALocalTestsOnly = 0;
> to my /etc/mail/mimedefang-filter file and tested but still I found
> that mimedefang wasn't running all tests. Also went to the filter_end
> section and added a link right to my rules file with the same lack of
> results.
> If I knew more about perl I'd try to add some debugging lines to
> /usr/local/bin/mimedefang.pl to see what's going on.
> I did go in and change mimedefang.pl to set SALocalTestsOnly to 0,
> regardless of the value set in mimedefang-filter but that was no help.
> Yes, I am reloading with /etc/init.d/mimedefang reload
> Actually the server was even rebooted earlier so I know all changes
> are actually in place.
> Any other ideas for tracking down the problem?

Well I seem to have fixed the problem, or at least part of it.
Mimedefang runs as user 'defang' on my system and I had to do a chmod
u+x .spamassassin in the /home/defang folder to allow the defang user
permission to the files in there.
I discovered this when I did
su -- defang
spamassassin < testmsg
and noted the permission errors that were returned immediately. Since
correcting that I'm now seeing the BAYES_xx items listed now, where
they weren't before.

I'm going to do some more testing to make sure my other rules are
being ran but I wanted to report on this and thank everyone for their
help so far!

-Chris