[Mimedefang] Grandparent of filter process is fairly unique?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Dec 26 13:12:38 EST 2008

Kelly Jones wrote:

> Is the pid of mimedefang's filter process "fairly unique"?

?  "Fairly unique?"  Is that like "a little bit pregnant?" :-)

> My thought: mimedefang-filter's parent is mimedefang-multiplexor which
> is pretty much fixed. However, multiplexor's parent is a sendmail fork
> (not the "main" sendmail daemon), which changes w/ every connection.

No; multiplexor's parent is not Sendmail.  It's likely to be
init (pid 1) by the time the system reaches steady-state.

There's no way to do what you want in MIMEDefang because the Perl code
is not passed enough information to correlate a message with the
initial connection.