[Mimedefang] Grandparent of filter process is fairly unique?

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 13:34:57 EST 2008

On 12/26/08, David F. Skoll <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:
> Kelly Jones wrote:
>
>> Is the pid of mimedefang's filter process "fairly unique"?
>
> ?  "Fairly unique?"  Is that like "a little bit pregnant?" :-)
>
>> My thought: mimedefang-filter's parent is mimedefang-multiplexor which
>> is pretty much fixed. However, multiplexor's parent is a sendmail fork
>> (not the "main" sendmail daemon), which changes w/ every connection.
>
> No; multiplexor's parent is not Sendmail.  It's likely to be
> init (pid 1) by the time the system reaches steady-state.
>
> There's no way to do what you want in MIMEDefang because the Perl code
> is not passed enough information to correlate a message with the
> initial connection.

Grumble! The connector's IP address ALMOST works, because ps tells us:

root 61316 0.0 0.4 3648 1940 ?? I 11:27AM 0:00.00 sendmail: server
fanta-gate.willowglen.com.sg [61.8.245.90] cmd read (sendmail)

and lsof/netstat would even give us the remote port number.

Does mimedefang-filter get the remote port number? Could I tweak the
code to pass it?

Not to disagree w/ the creator, but it seems this problem is solvable?

Saw your other email too: that's why I suggested using the grandparent
pid and not the pid of the filter itself.