[Mimedefang] EOM ACK/NAK timeout

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 6 17:26:10 EDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 11:10:26AM -0700, Andy Lyttle wrote:
> Just a quick follow-up:  I can see where that error is coming from;
> mimedefang.pl is actually sitting there using 99.9% CPU right now,
> working on this message.  So, it really is just taking forever and
> timing out...  but why?  I don't see anything out of the ordinary.
>
> -rw-r-----    1 defang   defang        541 Sep  6 10:54 COMMANDS
> -rw-r-----    1 defang   defang        676 Sep  6 10:54 HEADERS
> -rw-r-----    1 defang   defang      30996 Sep  6 10:54 INPUTMSG
> -rw-r-----    1 defang   defang          0 Sep  6 10:54 RESULTS
> drwxr-x---    2 defang   defang       4096 Sep  6 10:54 Work/
>
> -rw-r-----    1 defang   defang      31064 Sep  6 10:54 INPUTMBOX
> -rw-r-----    1 defang   defang      10296 Sep  6 10:54 msg-20285-4.txt
> -rw-r-----    1 defang   defang      18624 Sep  6 10:54 msg-20285-5.html
>
> I've got some pretty crazy custom filter code, but I can't see
> anything that could cause it to sit there for several minutes.  No
> infinite loops or anything.  And everything else is working fine -
> it's just this one message that's causing the problem.

It's likely spamassassin doing some regex test that takes forever to
fail. Try to see if you can replicate it (since you now have the
failing mail, apparently), by running spamassassin by hand on the
mail using --debug, and see if it hangs or becomes unbearably slow.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!