[Mimedefang] EOM ACK/NAK timeout

Andy Lyttle mimedefang at phroggy.com
Thu Sep 6 14:10:26 EDT 2007

> Hey all, I've been noticing this in my logs:
>
> milter_data(mimedefang): EOM ACK/NAK timeout
> Milter (mimedefang): to error state
> Milter: data, reject=451 4.3.2 Please try again later
>
> One particular message (which looks legit, not spam) has been
> retrying 94 times since yesterday and is getting this same result
> each time.  Help!  What can I do?

Just a quick follow-up:  I can see where that error is coming from;
mimedefang.pl is actually sitting there using 99.9% CPU right now,
working on this message.  So, it really is just taking forever and
timing out...  but why?  I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

-rw-r-----    1 defang   defang        541 Sep  6 10:54 COMMANDS
-rw-r-----    1 defang   defang        676 Sep  6 10:54 HEADERS
-rw-r-----    1 defang   defang      30996 Sep  6 10:54 INPUTMSG
-rw-r-----    1 defang   defang          0 Sep  6 10:54 RESULTS
drwxr-x---    2 defang   defang       4096 Sep  6 10:54 Work/

-rw-r-----    1 defang   defang      31064 Sep  6 10:54 INPUTMBOX
-rw-r-----    1 defang   defang      10296 Sep  6 10:54 msg-20285-4.txt
-rw-r-----    1 defang   defang      18624 Sep  6 10:54 msg-20285-5.html

I've got some pretty crazy custom filter code, but I can't see
anything that could cause it to sit there for several minutes.  No
infinite loops or anything.  And everything else is working fine -
it's just this one message that's causing the problem.

Help!

~ Andy