[Mimedefang] Reloading one slave at a time?

Andy Lyttle mimedefang at phroggy.com
Thu Sep 6 13:15:55 EDT 2007

When I call rc.mimedefang reload, it shuts down all slave processes,
then starts reloading them one at a time according to my settings.
Sometimes, that's exactly what I want.  However, while waiting for
processes to start, any incoming mail is tempfailed.  Sometimes, I
would prefer to restart one child process at a time, waiting until
the first has finished reloading before reloading the next.

Basically, if I'm reloading to fix a bug that's causing things to
break, then I want to reload everything immediately and tempfails are
fine.  But if I'm reloading to do a minor tweak, I'd rather have some
processes running with the old rules and some with the new for a
couple of minutes, and not have to tempfail anything, particularly
because outbound mail sent from authenticated users will be affected
as well, and they don't always handle tempfails as gracefully as SMTP
servers. ;-)

Is this currently possible, and if not, can it be made possible in a
future version?

~ Andy