[Mimedefang] Truncated connections causing multiple resends onincoming mail

John john at jjgb.com
Fri May 4 14:47:19 EDT 2007

At 12:26 PM 5/4/2007, you wrote:

<snip>

>You might want to review this:
>http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/04/18/risk-report-two-years-of-red-hat-enterprise-linux-4/
>if you are talking about staying up to date with security-related updates.
>I can't find the reference now but I think someone mentioned that if they
>repeated the study for RHEL3 there would only be about 2 more critical
>flaws in its additional 2 year life span.

Here is the key:

"The subset of vulnerabilities affecting the Linux kernel mostly lead to
one of two consequences: either a local unprivileged user can cause the
machine to crash, or a local user can gain privileges. "

The key word in the above comment is "local" user.  I there are no local
users, you have no kernel issues.  And since it is not windows, updating
other items for external issues is a "No reboot: situation <G>  I have
older kernels then mentioned above running right now that have no external
security issues and if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

>Note that with CentOS, you get essentially the same thing with free access
>to the updates with just a 'yum update' command - with the tradeoff that
>they take a few hours longer to become available.
>
>--
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell at gmail.com

John Jaeger - Billings, Montana

EMail To	: <mailto:john at jjgb.com>
Home Page	: <http://www.jjgb.com>

PGP:
RSA Key ID: 0xAAEC7751  <http://www.jjgb.com/public_files/RSA_Key.zip>

"Our liberty is protected by four boxes...
     The ballot box, the jury box, the soap box, and the cartridge box."
                                    - Anonymous

"Soap Box" didn't work, now using the "Cartridge Box" 3/20/2003