[Mimedefang] Truncated connections causing multipleresends onincoming mail

Cormack, Ken Ken.Cormack at Roadway.com
Fri May 4 09:17:38 EDT 2007

> That's the dreaded post-DATA race condition.  RFC 2821 says a client
SHOULD
> wait 10 minutes for a response to the final ".".  However, if indeed the
> problem is being caused by a client timeout, the only way you'll fix it is
> to have your server respond more quickly.  If Clam is taking too long to
scan,
> you are probably CPU-bound.  I think the only solution to this problem
> is more hardware. :-(

Or perhaps limiting the max size of an email to something that doesn't take
10 minutes to scan?

Kimmo - What is the largest message size (including all attachments) you
currently allow?  You can limit the max mesasage size in sendmail.mc with
something like the following, which limits a message (with all attachments)
to about 10MB:

	define(`confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE', `10000000')

This adds the following to sendmail.cf

	O MaxMessageSize=10000000

Of course, the above is suggested without my knowing more about the load and
configuration or your server, or nature of your email traffic.  YMMV

Ken