[Mimedefang] Truncated connections causing multiple resends onincoming mail

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri May 4 08:43:07 EDT 2007

Kimmo Jaskari wrote:

> I did some testing with a mail client and tried to send mail directly
> through the mail server to a recipient; the mail client had no problem
> uploading 100% of the data to the server, but at that point it just
> waited for about two minutes before giving an error about how the mail
> server wasn't responding.

That's the dreaded post-DATA race condition.  RFC 2821 says a client SHOULD
wait 10 minutes for a response to the final ".".  However, if indeed the
problem is being caused by a client timeout, the only way you'll fix it is
to have your server respond more quickly.  If Clam is taking too long to scan,
you are probably CPU-bound.  I think the only solution to this problem
is more hardware. :-(