[Mimedefang] Truncated connections causing multipleresends onincoming mail

Kimmo Jaskari kimmo.jaskari at eget.fi
Fri May 4 09:49:03 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 09:17 -0400, Cormack, Ken wrote:

> > you are probably CPU-bound.  I think the only solution to this problem
> > is more hardware. :-(
>
> Or perhaps limiting the max size of an email to something that doesn't take
> 10 minutes to scan?
>
> Kimmo - What is the largest message size (including all attachments) you
> currently allow?  You can limit the max mesasage size in sendmail.mc with

I appreciate the suggestion, but I already limit to 20MB. I probably
could drop that to 10, but that would probably cause whining from the
staff; also, since two simultaneous 6MB mails already makes the machine
choke, I doubt if it would have much of an impact.

These are the settings I'm using at the moment. No doubt they can be
improved upon, though.

define(`confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE', `20000000')dnl
define(`confMAX_HOP', `40')dnl
define(`confQUEUE_LA', `5000')dnl
define(`confREFUSE_LA', `24')dnl
define(`confCONNECTION_RATE_THROTTLE', `50')dnl
define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN', `200')dnl
define(`confTO_DATAINIT', `15m')dnl
define(`confTO_DATABLOCK', `2h')dnl
define(`confTO_DATAFINAL', `2h1m')dnl
define(`confTO_IDENT', `0s')dnl
define(`confTO_QUIT', `5m')dnl
define(`confTO_MISC', `5m')dnl

Ah well, I'll probably just talk to my boss about ordering a couple of
new servers. A pizza box with a couple of cores and a few gigs of memory
can be had for peanuts these days after all, and the machines that are
currently in use are ancient.

Thanks!

/Kimmo