[Mimedefang] Filtering idea for stock pump&dumps

Ole Craig olc at cs.umass.edu
Mon Jul 2 13:50:31 EDT 2007

On 07/02/07 at 12:30, 'twas brillig and Ben Kamen scrobe:
> Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> >
> > It's an interesting idea but I doubt one can demonstrate access to the
> > data. Perhaps if some of the exchanges were willing to cooperate to stop
> > the scams...
>
> That's a good point. If the company whose stock is being pumped could be held
> liable for the SPAM. Doesn't the CAN-SPAM (in the US anyway) cover for that?
>
> The spammer isn't just guilty, the company represented in the spam is
> guilty of spamming too.
>
> I realize the next question is: where is the company based and what are the laws
> there, but the exchanges holding the company liable is a great idea. There's a
> place where present laws could possibly apply a little pressure.

	Actually, my next question would be something along the lines
of "What controls are in place to prevent the possibility of me
spamvertising your company's stock in order to trigger adverse action
against your company?"

		Ole
--
Ole Craig * UNIX, linux, SMTP-fu; news, web; SGI martyr * admin-at-large
"The government being of, for, and by the people, each ballot cast in