[Mimedefang] Filtering idea for stock pump&dumps

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Mon Jul 2 13:25:19 EDT 2007

> Hmm, what about these PDF pump and dumps that I started seeing en masse
> in the last week or so  :(  Complete with rainbowed letters in the PDF...

Yes, the PDF ones are a neat twist.  I would imagine they'll need to get
added to the OCR plugins.  I'm worried about rules that try and trigger on a
PDF as that's a widely-used format.  Kudos to the spammers.  It was a good
move.

> I could see a database being made, consisting of all stocks worth less
> than $5.00.  Maybe it would be possible to somehow have a daily updated
> DB with the daily closing price.  The less it's worth, the higher the SA
> score  :)

It's an interesting idea but I doubt one can demonstrate access to the data.
Perhaps if some of the exchanges were willing to cooperate to stop the
scams...

regards,
KAM