[Mimedefang] Re: On pinheaded ISP's (sort of OT)

John Rudd john at rudd.cc
Wed Jan 31 17:03:40 EST 2007

WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
> Les wrote on 01/31/2007 03:52:58 PM:
>
>> Is 'your' queue better than everyone else's?  Why not do a 4xx tmpfail
>> if your address check temporarily fails?  Any real MTA should be
>> prepared to queue and retry.
>
> Why bother even having a backup MX if all it will do is return a 4xx?  Why
> not let the sending server just fail to connect you your server and it
> will retry just as long before failing.

low priority MX's server two purposes:

1) high availability

2) load distribution

Your complaint is that tempfailing negates #1.  It does not, however,
negate #2.

Further, if your backup MX's are smart, instead of stupid, keeping some
form of state about valid destination addresses, then #1 is not negated.

Personally, I'm not afraid of tempfailing.  Temporary delivery problems
are what 4xx codes are for.