[Mimedefang] Re: On pinheaded ISP's (sort of OT)

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Wed Jan 31 16:49:31 EST 2007

> Is 'your' queue better than everyone else's?  Why not do a 4xx tmpfail
> if your address check temporarily fails?  Any real MTA should be
> prepared to queue and retry.

Yes, frankly, it is better than the vast majority of mail queue's out there.

1 - Call me a control freak but if I *can* control mail delivery, I will.  On a daily basis, I deal with a lot of pinhead email admins and removing unknowns from a model is best.

2 - If we have a customer moving, then we can use mailertables to redirect their email as an in-between hop without ANY downtime due to DNS poisoning

3 - If we have a customer down, we can deliver their email to a mailbox for them to access via webmail.

4 - If we have a customer down, I can immediately trigger a dequeue of their email without waiting on servers to retry delivery in an unknown amount of time that can range into hours or even days.

5 - I care a LOT about FPs.  I'd rather get 100 spams than 1 FPs.  Email is critical to what I and my customers do and losing email through collateral damage is not acceptable.

Regards,
KAM