[Mimedefang] Re: On pinheaded ISP's (sort of OT)

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jan 31 16:35:44 EST 2007

WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
> Les wrote on 01/31/2007 03:52:58 PM:
>
>> Is 'your' queue better than everyone else's?  Why not do a 4xx tmpfail
>> if your address check temporarily fails?  Any real MTA should be
>> prepared to queue and retry.
>
> Why bother even having a backup MX if all it will do is return a 4xx?  Why
> not let the sending server just fail to connect you your server and it
> will retry just as long before failing.

You might want a backup MX or multiples that can run concurrently in
case one of them has problems and the other(s) can provide equivalent
relay service.  However, this situation involves the primary delivery
server or the authentication mechanism used to test for valid users.
You can't deliver in any case.  What's the point of accepting it then?
My point of view may be skewed by getting about 50,000 dictionary attack
  attempts daily for the last few years, but accepting mail without
knowing the address is valid is not healthy.  You are just asking to
overwhelm your own outbound queue with NDN's.

--
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com