[Mimedefang] Questions about stream_by_recipient and problems it creates.

Matthew Schumacher matt.s at aptalaska.net
Wed Jan 24 12:41:58 EST 2007

Jan-Pieter Cornet wrote:
> We actually currently use a "spam folder" that is a completely separate
> account. Each user has a shadow account as a spam drop box. Everyone
> can use that, just setup another account in your mail client. We
> even provide a hotlink "log in to my spam account" from webmail.

This is an interesting idea, I wonder if my rural Alaska users will be
able to figure that out....

> This also makes it very easy on the MIMEDefang side: to divert to
> a spambox, simply remove the recipient and add the recipient's spambox.
>
> I'd like to introduce an optional spam/ folder to be used for our
> IMAP customers, but I'm still not entirely sure how to pass a flag
> to mail.local to _one specific_ recipient from within MIMEDefang.
> And because of privacy, you can't have a header "this should go into
> joe's spambox", of course.

We use cyrus, so this would be very easy for us.  Simply write a sieve
script that would read the SA report header and decide what to do.

>> This is an interesting idea, temp-failing recipients with dissimilar
>> spam settings, but due to lame email clients, it sounds like it would be
>> a lot of trouble.
>
> Erm... what do you care about insufficiently conforming email clients on
> your incoming mail server? There shouldn't be any clients talking to
> that MTA directly anyway.

Both the inbound and outbound MTA scan for spam so I currently have the
users sending though the outbound MTA.

schu