[Mimedefang] Questions about stream_by_recipient and problems it creates.

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 24 04:56:26 EST 2007

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 01:36:43PM -0900, Matthew Schumacher wrote:
> > A fourth option is to introduce a "spam folder", where you file
> > suspected spams. We already use this currently. Then if you cannot
> > reject an email for one user (because another user does want to
> > receive the email), flag the message to be delivered to the
> > spam folder.
>
> This doesn't work because most of the people using the mail system use
> POP3.  I would love for people to ditch pop3, but due to poor support
> for IMAP in "widely-used-but-marginal" (as David puts it) clients make
> IMAP pretty lame.

We actually currently use a "spam folder" that is a completely separate
account. Each user has a shadow account as a spam drop box. Everyone
can use that, just setup another account in your mail client. We
even provide a hotlink "log in to my spam account" from webmail.

This also makes it very easy on the MIMEDefang side: to divert to
a spambox, simply remove the recipient and add the recipient's spambox.

I'd like to introduce an optional spam/ folder to be used for our
IMAP customers, but I'm still not entirely sure how to pass a flag
to mail.local to _one specific_ recipient from within MIMEDefang.
And because of privacy, you can't have a header "this should go into
joe's spambox", of course.

> This is an interesting idea, temp-failing recipients with dissimilar
> spam settings, but due to lame email clients, it sounds like it would be
> a lot of trouble.

Erm... what do you care about insufficiently conforming email clients on
your incoming mail server? There shouldn't be any clients talking to
that MTA directly anyway.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!