[Mimedefang] Re: compare mimedefang to mailscanner

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Jan 18 09:21:32 EST 2007

WBrown at e1b.org wrote:

> Does anyone know of other commercial spam filters besides CanIt that are
> milter based or at least operate during the SMTP conversation.

(My marketing people will kill me for mentioning competitors...)
Two big ones come to mind: Brightmail and PureMessage.  Also, some
outsourced solutions like Postini and MessageLabs seem to do at least
some rejection during the SMTP conversation.

There's definitely a tradeoff.  Doing your filtering during SMTP imposes
very aggressive time constraints.  It's quite a challenge to scale a
MIMEDefang/CanIt installation up to the several-million-messages/day level.
Doing filtering after-the-fact lets you breathe a bit easier and smooth
out peak loads over the day.