[Mimedefang] Re: compare mimedefang to mailscanner

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Thu Jan 18 10:50:11 EST 2007

DFS wrote on 01/18/2007 09:21:32 AM:

> (My marketing people will kill me for mentioning competitors...)

No doubt, but your openess is appreciated!

> Two big ones come to mind: Brightmail and PureMessage.  Also, some
> outsourced solutions like Postini and MessageLabs seem to do at least
> some rejection during the SMTP conversation.

I looked at Brightmail, but did not do an eval.  Price and level of
customization were the big factors.  Given our end users are teacher who
would not want their own trap to review, and CanIt streamed by domain
(school district) works very well for us.

> There's definitely a tradeoff.  Doing your filtering during SMTP imposes
> very aggressive time constraints.  It's quite a challenge to scale a
> MIMEDefang/CanIt installation up to the several-million-messages/day
level.
> Doing filtering after-the-fact lets you breathe a bit easier and smooth
> out peak loads over the day.

Yeah, tell me about it.  We're up to 71 school districts we're filtering
and I'm in my second round of adding servers.  But I remain convinced that
filtering during SMTP is the correct way to go.