[Mimedefang] Lower spamassassin scores on newer faster server

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 23 10:48:36 EST 2006

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 11:57:04AM -0000, Delahunty, Mark wrote:
> I have a server running mimedefang with spamasassin + fsav + sophos (no
> sophie). It marks 65% of our incoming emails as spam.
>
> I've set up another server with the same hardware, operating system and
> mimedefang configuration except for 2 changes:
>
> 1. It uses clamd instead of sophos
> 2. It does no streaming
>
> The new setup is much faster to process messages. I think this is because
> sophos (without sophie) uses _lots_ of CPU. The trouble is, the new setup
> marks less than 50% of our incoming emails as spam.
>
> Anyone got any ideas why?

Another possible explanation is that clamav will detect a lot of
phishes, where sophos generally only detects viruses. Those
phishes will also be detected as spam by spamassassin.

So in effect, by pre-filtering phishing using clamd, you reduce
the amount of spam, so spamassassin, which comes later (i presume?)
will detect less spam.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!