[Mimedefang] Where is my "quota exceeded" message?

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Mon Mar 13 16:36:58 EST 2006

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Roberto Machado wrote:

> 1) first I configured quotas in my filesystem, and I'm  using
> procmail, so everything should be straightforward. And actually works,
> but when I get bounces, sendmail returns simply:
>
>     ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> <user at domain.com>
>      (reason: Can't create output)

   Is procmail your local delivery agent, or is it mail.local or something
similar?  sendmail can only report the error that the local mailer reports
to it.

> how to implement quotas through Mimedefang, doing the right thing
> (i.e,, rejecting the bad recipient in the smtp recipient envelope
> message)?

   That may not be possible.  The MAIL command has a SIZE parameter, but
unless the remote MTA uses it, you won't know how big the message is until
you have accepted it (for possibly multiple recipients).  Furthermore,
unless you are running a Unix flavor that has compartmental security
(Solaris 10 comes to mind), the defang user may not be able to check other
users' quotas.  And I would not recommend running MD as the superuser.

Jim McCullars
University of Alabama in Huntsville