[Mimedefang] Should I try to do MIMEDefang with Mailscanner forbackup MX

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Wed Jun 21 20:44:14 EDT 2006

Quoting Les Mikesell <les at futuresource.com>:

> On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 08:52 -0400, Steve Campbell wrote:
>
> > This is the same as my setup, actually. I have two servers -  one that is
> > primary for some domains, the other that is primary for other domains. Each
>
> > server acts as backup MX for the domains that aren't primary MX on that
> > particular server. And I do not use MD yet, or spamassassin in a MySQL
> > situation.
> >
> [...]
> > Same again. I would like to just use MIMEDefang to throw away invalid
> users,
> > no matter which server they enter my system on, primary or secondary MX.
>
> Where does final delivery happen?  If it is on your primary MX, then
> making the secondary do md_check_against_smtp_server against the
> primary will result in tempfails when the primary is down.  If it
> is a different machine, both primary and secondary can check against
> it but both will tempfail when the machine that knows the users
> is down.

Final delivery is on the primary. The mailboxes are on the primary. The test for
the primary being down from the secondary using MD, I would hope, would just be
a null action and tempfails would be fine. Delivery could then be completed
normally as if MD wasn't in the flow once the primary is accepting mail again.
It would just be tempfailed on my server instead of the initial sending server.

I assume that MD can be made to do this (act like it wasn't there and do
nothing). Without being familiar with Perl and MD, I wouldn't know this yet.

But thanks for the response.

Steve