[Mimedefang] Including archetypal filters to include in release?

Ole Craig olc at cs.umass.edu
Wed Jan 11 12:33:26 EST 2006

On 01/11/06 at 09:15, 'twas brillig and Kelson Vibber scrobe:
> Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> >> (B) That's not a restriction of Windows, I believe.  That's a limitation
> >> of certain Windows UA's.  I'm working on a patch to Thunderbird, that
> >> should work on XP as well.
> >
> > Yes, I was implying the MUA.  I don't see it chaning in Outlook/OE
> > anytime soon so while it's nice that there is a thunderbird fix for the
> > issue, the reality for me is that I believe this check will have
> > hideously high FPs.
>
> Then there's Eudora, which, at least through version 6, will HELO with
> the local host name attached to the domain name of the SMTP server.
> This gets really annoying, because chances are that the resulting FQDN
> doesn't exist if you're dealing with a home computer named by the end user.
>
> This of course can be resolved by requiring SMTP-AUTH, but when you
> still have half your users on POP-before-SMTP, it limits your options a bit.

	I ran a mixed POP-before-SMTP and SMTP-AUTH system for some
time (started with PbS before S-A was available for the majority of
the MUAs I had to serve) and thus had to solve that very conundrum.
I'm pretty sure my solution found its way to this list, so it might be
worth trawling for.

	If your PbS algorithm uses a sendmail map (e.g. access.db)
then it ought to be fairly easy to pull it into MIMEDefang and
incorporate it into an auth check.

	Of course, if you're trying to do it all in sendmail before
incurring the hit of an MD thread, then it gets a little less
straightforward. (But doable -- I had PbS and S-A working in
sendmail.cf before we added MIMEDefang. MD just made it lots lots
easier -- I'll take perl over sendmail.cf any day. :-)

	Cheers,
		Ole
--
Ole Craig * UNIX, linux, SMTP-fu; news, web; SGI martyr * admin-at-large
   Need a seasoned *NIX admin in the Denver/Boulder area? Hire me!