[Mimedefang] Including archetypal filters to include in release?

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Wed Jan 11 12:15:54 EST 2006

Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>> (B) That's not a restriction of Windows, I believe.  That's a limitation
>> of certain Windows UA's.  I'm working on a patch to Thunderbird, that
>> should work on XP as well.
>
> Yes, I was implying the MUA.  I don't see it chaning in Outlook/OE
> anytime soon so while it's nice that there is a thunderbird fix for the
> issue, the reality for me is that I believe this check will have
> hideously high FPs.

Then there's Eudora, which, at least through version 6, will HELO with
the local host name attached to the domain name of the SMTP server.
This gets really annoying, because chances are that the resulting FQDN
doesn't exist if you're dealing with a home computer named by the end user.

This of course can be resolved by requiring SMTP-AUTH, but when you
still have half your users on POP-before-SMTP, it limits your options a bit.

--
Kelson Vibber
SpeedGate Communications, <www.speed.net>