[Mimedefang] blocking mail before getting to spamassassin

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Wed Feb 15 11:29:18 EST 2006

Stephen Ford wrote:
> Can someone give me some pointers on
> rejecting/dropping mail before it gets to
> spamassassin?  I'm running solaris 9, sendmail,
> mimedefang and spamassassin.  I'd like to block some
> messages at the sendmail level since that doesn't use
> much cpu/memory (I'd think most zombie's, ratware,
> spoofing can be stopped here).  Then within mimedefang
> if the email fails the network checks to reject it/by
> pass spamassassin testing (again trying to avoid using
> too much cpu/memory) and then and only then run the
> email through spamassassin.

In sendmail you can use DNSBLs:
http://www.sendmail.org/m4/features.html#enhdnsbl

I use a three-tier approach with sendmail, MIMEDefang, and spamd:
http://www.mimedefang.com/kwiki/index.cgi?SpamassassinSpamcSpamd

--
Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com               805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com       Software Engineer