[Mimedefang] OT: Email web form exploits

Chris Gauch cgauch at digicon.net
Mon Sep 5 22:21:18 EDT 2005

This is somewhat off-topic but does relate to spam/email as these Email web
form exploits seem to be yet another method that spammers have found to junk
up inboxes...

Just wanted to hear how others are being hit by this latest scam.  As an ISP
that hosts hundreds of websites that use Email web forms, we have had lots
of forms come through with fake email addresses throughout the form (see the
article below for more info):

http://www.anders.com/cms/75/Crack.Attempt/Spam.Relay

Here's an example (shown on the website above) of what these "exploited" web
forms look like when sent via email from the web server:

-- snip --

comments[ejrkjfkn at nowhere.com]
andersUser[ejrkjfkn at nowhere.com]
redirectTo[ejrkjfkn at nowhere.com]