[Mimedefang] OT: Email web form exploits

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Sep 5 22:59:01 EDT 2005

Chris Gauch wrote:

> Just wanted to hear how others are being hit by this latest scam.  As an ISP
> that hosts hundreds of websites that use Email web forms, we have had lots
> of forms come through with fake email addresses throughout the form (see the
> article below for more info):

We haven't seen this yet.  We have quite a few forms on our site that send
e-mail, but I audited the code and I'm pretty sure it's secure.  We filter
all input and convert \n and \r to a space.

Also, our Web forms reject anyone who puts in an e-mail address in
Vernon Schruyver's free email domain list at
http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/freemail-adb

I suspect that list would catch a lot of cracking attempts. It
certainly filters out a lot of useless queries.