[Mimedefang] Please review: new Spamc feature

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Tue Oct 25 20:30:25 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 11:01 -0700, Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:
> I do all sorts of things w/ MIMEDefang besides spam-scan,
> and while the MIMEDefang threads are doing all these things,
> that SpamAssassin module is sitting there idle, but taking
> up space.

Use the embedded Perl feature of MIMEDefang and use compile_now() from
SpamAssassin. That way, the SpamAssassin initialization is done once.
fork() on Linux (and Unix in general, I believe) is very lightweight.
The SpamAssassin stuff in memory will be shared by all the threads.

I do this, and ... unless I'm very confused ;) ... it saves TONS of
memory.

Richard