[Mimedefang] Please review: new Spamc feature

John Nemeth jnemeth at victoria.tc.ca
Tue Oct 25 20:00:14 EDT 2005

On Mar 17,  5:37am, <Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com> wrote:
}
} I've broken down and coded a mimedefang-filter that calls spamc
} instead of use'ing Mail::SpamAssassin.
}
} I'd ideally like to post this on the wiki for those who might find it
} useful... but I'm interested in feedback first. Can you glance over
} the code and tell me what you think?
}
} The idea is to trim down the MIMEDefang threads to be lightweight, so
} I can make a whole lot of them.  I do all sorts of things w/
} MIMEDefang besides spam-scan, and while the MIMEDefang threads are
} doing all these things, that SpamAssassin module is sitting there
} idle, but taking up space.  I do have a performance hit from spawning
} the spamc process, but I thought I'd experiment to see if the
} tradeoff is a net benefit or loss.

     Why don't you create a function to call spamd directly, similar to
the way that MIMEDefang calls clamd?  That way, you won't have the
spamc process overhead?

}-- End of excerpt from <Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com>