[Mimedefang] Please review: new Spamc feature

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Oct 26 07:15:01 EDT 2005

Richard Laager wrote:

> Use the embedded Perl feature of MIMEDefang and use compile_now() from
> SpamAssassin. That way, the SpamAssassin initialization is done once.
> fork() on Linux (and Unix in general, I believe) is very lightweight.
> The SpamAssassin stuff in memory will be shared by all the threads.

That's the theory.  Unfortunately, reality is more brutal.

Perl uses reference-counting garbage collection.  Which means that if
a process even looks at a chunk of data, the reference count gets
incremented.  Which touches the memory page.  Which means no sharing.

Embedded Perl helps a bit.  But unfortunately, it doesn't help anywhere
near as much as it should help because of Perl's #*&$*&#$ reference-counting.