[Mimedefang] SA upgrade difficulty

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Wed Oct 12 18:31:59 EDT 2005

NFN Smith wrote:
> When I installed with rpm, rpm reported conflicts with most of my
> existing MIMEDefang files, including mimedefang-filter, the init script
> in /etc/rc.d/init.d, /etc/sysconfig, the mimedefang binaries and perl
> scripts installed in /user/bin, and man pages.

IIRC, RPM only reports conflicts between installed packages, which
suggests that you were somehow installing one version of MIMEDefang on
top of another one insead of upgrading from one version to another.  The
easiest way to do this is by running "rpm -i" (install) when you mean
"rpm -U" (upgrade), or by trying to upgrade to a package made by someone
who used a different name than the pacakge you already have.

My suggestion here: run "rpm -qa | grep -i defang" and see what shows
up.  Then uninstall all of them and re-install as David suggested.

If you end up with two RPMs that claim ownership over the same files,
you're going to run into problems.

> I reran the rpm install (perhaps unwisely) with the 'force' option.

For future reference: --force is an option of *last* resort!  If RPM
won't install something, there's usually a reason.  Yes, sometimes it's
just a mismatch between what RPM knows and what's actually on the
system.  But sometimes it's trying to save you headaches down the road.

--
Kelson Vibber