[Mimedefang] Re: SA upgrade difficulty

NFN Smith worldoff9908 at sacbeemail.com
Wed Oct 12 19:06:47 EDT 2005

David F. Skoll wrote:

> NFN Smith wrote:
>

>>OK, thanks for the clarification.  What's the best way of going about
>>doing that -- uninstall/reinstall?
>

> If you originally installed MIMEDefang from source, you're better off
> to continue installing from source instead of using an RPM.
>
> If you originally installed an RPM, then an RPM upgrade should work...

Original installation (done by somebody else) was done from RPM.  I
checked the RPM database, and it reported two copies of MD 2.53
installed.  I removed them both.

> In any event, no matter how you originally installed, if you remove
> all traces of the old MIMEDefang (either with rpm -e or by manually removing
> files if you installed from source) and then installing from source
> should work.

I reinstalled from source (including upgrades of MIME::Tools and
MIME::Base64), and have MD running, but still errors and tempfails.

This seems to have pretty much done the trick.  I did have one more
difficulty with tempfails when MD couldn't find
/var/spool/MIMEDefang/clamd.sock -- I do have ClamAV running as a
sendmail milter, and I'm writing the socket to another location.  Since
I'm running the milter, I don't need MD querying clamav, as well.  Thus,
I commented out the code that makes AV checks, and everything is running
correctly.

I'm still running our version 2.25-originated mimedefang-filter,
because, as noted, there's some amounts of local hacking that have been
done to it (and now this tweak makes it even uglier).

Somewhere along, I'll look at porting our specific updates to a fresh
default copy, but that may be a while, since most of the work was done
by someone else, and I'm not especially fluent in perl programming.

Thanks for the help.  The color has returned to my face again,  B-) and
we not only have a production server fully working, but I know what I
need to do to the other production servers.

Smith