[Mimedefang] Replace with URL

Yizhar Hurwitz yizhar at mail.com
Wed Oct 12 15:35:09 EDT 2005

HI.

I'm using Mimedefang version 2.52 on a mail server for small company (20 users).
Most of the users use MS Outlook Express (on WinXP), few of them use Thunderbird (on Windows also).

I am using the function "replace_with_url" to replace files larger then a specific files,
and also some multimedia files by extension.

My problem is that the user receiving the message, cannot click on the URL, but needs to copy and paste it.
This happens if the original email is in HTML format, which is the default format of our clients.

As far as I understand, this is probably because the function "replace_with_warning" adds a text/plain part,
and some EMail clients (like MS Outlook Express) displays the link as regular plain text instead of creating a link from
it.

Here is an example from one of my test messages:

------=_NextPart_000_00CB_01C5CF72.0FF716C0

multimedia file converted to URL:
http://10.0.0.4/mail_parts/0297c3c84eb5e9f616825d87a0a721d5ae1b57d2.avi

Here is the relevant part from "mimedefang-filter":

$multimedia = '(avi|mov|mpg|pps|wmv)';
 if (re_match($entity, '\.' . $multimedia)) {
      return action_replace_with_url($entity,
      "/var/tmp/mail_parts",
      "http://10.0.0.4/mail_parts",
      "multimedia file converted to URL:\n_URL_\n");
 }

So, my question is:
How can I use the function "replace_with_url", but make my best effort so that the recipient will be able to simply
click on the URL instead of needing to copy & paste it?

(Please let me know if I need to provide more details)

Thanks
Yizhar Hurwitz
http://yizhar.mvps.org