[Mimedefang] OT - Using rDNS sendmail hack - your experiences

James Ebright jebright at esisnet.com
Tue May 3 09:20:10 EDT 2005

Well, we have ended up only running the hard reject in the hack, the temp
fails eventually ended up proving that many people/companies running mail
servers really should not be! :-P

To run the hack without the tempfails simply comment out the <TEMP> and
<FORGED> lines and remake your cf file (remember to use a dnl to comment!)

The hard reject in the hack seems to work well, has not yet generated a false
positive response and does give back an immediate response to the sender. The
temp fails due to possible forgery or unresolvable dns were starting to pile
up and cause a bit of confusion to the end customer, and while our admins
originally thought it was better to exempt misconfigured servers than to keep
up hardcore on our DNSBL, it eventually proved the other way around.

In short, this code will stay on my test server for the time being while we
add tests to SA to deal with the temp fail situation and just score the
results appropriately as was suggested earlier.

Jim

--
EsisNet.com Webmail Client