[Mimedefang] How do I unquarantine a message?

Paul Murphy pmurphy at ionixpharma.com
Tue May 3 06:01:24 EDT 2005

> Looks interesting. Instead of using <XMP> to prevent HTML interpretation
> (do you trap a lone </XMP> in the message?), you could just change all the
> "<" to "<" to defang the tags. (Do the same for "&".)

True, but this involves either changing the original files, or reading the file
into memory, making a copy of it, changing the copy, and using the copy to
produce the screen output.  It also doesn't cope with hex codes and the other
ways of obfuscating tags, so it would end up being a huge effort to clean it up.

The code doesn't at the moment trap for the file containing </XMP> without a
corresponding starting tag.  An interesting case, although unlikely to happen -
it should however be checked for and handled.  Since the scripts are intended to
allow management of the quarantine area, anything caught in there is likely to
be treated with suspicion, but its also the case that most quarantined messages
or attachments will just be deleted rather than inspected - if a message is
quarantined as a virus, or an attachment is quarantined because it is in breach
of policy, you'll likely delete it without checking the contents.  If you
quarantine for suspicious HTML, I'd want to look at the contents in a text
editor rather than trust to a browser...

Best Wishes,

Paul.
Paul Murphy
Head of Informatics
Ionix Pharmaceuticals Ltd
418 Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 0PA

Tel. 01223 433741
Fax. 01223 433788

DISCLAIMER:
are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please contact
the sender or the Ionix IT Helpdesk on +44 (0) 1223 433741