[Mimedefang] OT - Using rDNS sendmail hack - your experiences

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Tue May 3 10:53:38 EDT 2005

James Ebright wrote:
> Well, we have ended up only running the hard reject in the hack, the temp
> fails eventually ended up proving that many people/companies running mail
> servers really should not be! :-P

Tell us about it. (grumble grumble)

> The hard reject in the hack seems to work well, has not yet generated a false
> positive response and does give back an immediate response to the sender.

Not if they run MS Exchange. I've testing online with a user while I had him on
the phone.. all MS says is something bland like, "Can't deliver mail"... even
though my server sends back a very descript failure code and message.

<rant>
So the users (trained in the ways of InternetExploder) just figure there's a
"DNS or server error" and sit at their desks and cry. (I'm guessing to some of
that of course... but not the crying part.) ;)
</rant>

-Ben