Phish detection (was Re: [Mimedefang] for mcafee lovers)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Mar 23 10:48:13 EST 2005

James Ebright wrote:

> I agree... unfortunately most of our clients use windoze and most IE and even
> with auto updates it seems many still manage to get spyware etc on their PC
> once in a while...

But as a general security principle: If I control the computer outside
the gateway, *and* I control the computer inside the gateway, then it
doesn't matter what you do *on* the gateway.  It won't help.  In fact,
it can make things worse by providing an illusion of safety.

> Its as the saying goes.. give me strength to change what I can
> change, give me courage to accept the things I cannot change, and
> grant me wisdom to know the difference!

If you're an ISP, then I would definitely include in your Terms of Service
a disclaimer stating that you cannot offer protection against spyware,
viruses, etc. to end-users.