[Mimedefang] This mail's for you... NOT!

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Fri Mar 4 18:49:51 EST 2005

Shively, Michael @ FRE wrote:
> I find messages in my outgoing queue for sendmail but the messages are
> addresses to other domains.

This could be normal.  Return receipts, undeliverable notifications, etc.
Are you using some kind of address verification on the perimeter server?  By this I mean, do you make sure that the RCPT TO email address exists on the Exchange server (via LDAP, say) at RCPT TO time?

> Luckily I decided to use my Exchange
> Server as the Outgoing mail server and I configured my 3rd party
> firewall to deny the Fedora box access to port 25 outgoing.

Gack!  Bad idea.

> So, I am FaIrLy CeRtAiN that I am not being used as a relay.
> How do I prevent my Fedora box from accepting mail for other domains?

Check to see what the originating IP for these mail items is.  If it's 127.0.0.1 you're OK and this is normal.  Otherwise something's broken.  Find it and fix it.

> (FYI: I receive approx 1500 mail messages per day (90% spam) LOL)
> (FYI: Only a few (1-5) messages are accepted for other domains per
> day)

> Also,
> Most of the spam messages that I receive are addresses to non-existing
> users... Mailing list I guess...  Can I setup a way to accept mail
> for only a list of e-mail addresses?

Answers my previous question.  Yes, you sure can.  What I do is generate an access database of the form